The Australian Stud Book website has a facility that allows registered subscribers to search for a particular brand by typing a single word or single characters based on the description of the horses brand.
The search facility also has a number of different search queries, whereby you can search the brand by;
- Owner: This option will supply a list of brands registered to a brand owner by typing either the surname, company name, stud name or Contact Breeder Number (CBN).
- Index Number: This option allows you to search for a specific brand by entering that brand’s index number as issued by the Australian Stud Book. If you do not know the index number, try searching by a different method. The Australian Stud Book is currently in the process of registering all brands used for the identification of thoroughbreds. If you have not registered your brand, contact the ASB on 02-9663 8411.
- Registered Brand: Brands owned by residents of Queensland and Western Australia are required to be registered by the relevant industry bodies and are issued with a separate brand number. This option will allow you to search for a QLD or WA registered brand number by selecting the relevant state and typing the number.
- Exact Search: This option will allow you to search for single characters within the description of a brand. If there is more than one brand with the same combination of single characters then they will all be displayed.
For example, to find the brand "HP" type the characters H and P
- General Search: This option will allow you to search for words and single characters within the description of a brand. This option is useful for brands that include symbols (eg. a crown or a circle) or a combination of symbols and single characters. If there is more than one brand with the same combination of words and single characters then they will all be displayed.
- Horses by Brand: This option will display the names of all horses (together with their dam and sire) that carry the brand that matches the selected index number and season. You may select the season or leave it blank, in which case the results include horses for all seasons.
Please note The Brands Register may be incomplete for some horses born prior to 2003